Saturday, December 10, 2005

Snotty

"What do you mean you never cook Italian?"
"I just don't. I never really learned how."
"But you cook all kinds of crazy shit like stir-frys and little French stews and whatever. How can you not know how to make spaghetti and meatballs?"
"Well, the stir-frys and the Asian food I learned to cook from my mom. We just never had Italian food all that often. A lasagna was, like, a really big deal in our house. My mom trotted that out for special occasions and really important guests."
"Huh. That's just so weird. I have a hard time imagining Italian as anything other than everyday, family-style, ordinary food."
"That might be because your last name is Lombardi."
"So where did you learn to cook all the other stuff?"
"What other stuff?"
"You know, the crepes, the bourguignon, the little things stuffed inside of other little things and baked with little bits of herbs and mushrooms on top. Did your mom teach you to make that stuff, too?"
"The French food? No, that's my own doing. I tought myself out of the Gastronomique."
"That is so fucking snotty."
"I know. I think it comes with the territory when you're gay."
"Hm. Coq au vin and cocksucking, huh?"
"Something like that, yeah."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home